top of page

Personal Injury Caused by Municipal Negligence

Suits Against Municipalities

If you have suffered a personal injury while on municipal property, you may find it challenging to recover any compensation for your losses. Most governmental bodies have immunity from lawsuits based on negligence or carelessness. There are, however, exceptions to those laws. You want an experienced and knowledgeable attorney who will fight for your rights.

You Need An Attorney When You Have Been Injured By Government Negligence

At Romano Law, in Southfield, we vehemently protect the rights of people who have been injured because of negligence by government or municipal departments, employees or agencies. We have a full understanding of the laws related to governmental immunity and can quickly identify whether you have a claim and your likelihood of success.


We dedicate all our efforts to helping you meet your specific goals, listening carefully to your concerns so that we can tailor our representation to meet your needs. Contact our office or call us toll-free at 888-479-0605 to set up a free initial consultation.

Protecting Your Rights In Civil Suits Against Municipalities

When you have a potential claim against a municipality, you must provide a notice letter, stating your intent to file suit. It is critical that you have a lawyer help you prepare the letter, as the failure to include required elements or the failure to file within the time period allowed can preclude you from moving forward with your claim.


At Romano Law, we handle a wide range of civil actions against government bodies based on negligence, including:

  • Street and highway claims: If you have been injured on foot, on a bicycle, or in a car because of a defect in an improved roadway, you have a claim under the street and highway exception to government tort immunity, even if you are partially at fault. Likewise, if the negligent maintenance of a sidewalk leads to your injury, you can recover damages.

  • Claims involving government-owned vehicles: If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident involving a state or municipality owned vehicle, you can file a claim for injuries suffered.

  • Cases involving gross government negligence: If a government employee acts recklessly or otherwise engages in gross negligence, and the municipality is the only responsible party, you can sue the municipality for damages.

  • Injuries suffered in a government building: A municipality is also liable for any injuries caused by the negligent maintenance of a public building.

We handle all civil actions against municipalities on a contingent fee basis. All attorney fees are paid out of any monetary award we recover for you.

Contact Us

To set up a free initial consultation, contact us or call us toll-free at 248-750-0270 to schedule an appointment. Our offices are open weekdays from 9 am until 5 pm, but we answer our phones 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


We are conveniently located with easy access from all major freeways in the Detroit area. Ample free parking is available nearby. We provide Spanish interpreters upon request.

bottom of page